Saturday, September 02, 2006
What are the characteristics of my poetry?
1. Most of them are written in traditional or conventional poetry, that is, with meter or rhyme or both. I have written some free verse, being one of the first Filipino poets to write in this medium.
2. I have written what perhaps is the longest poem in English written by a Filipino, “The Life of Christ.”
3. I have written what is probably the longest sonnet sequence in the Philippines numbering nearly 200 sonnets. The longest sonnet sequence in English literature is of Shakespeare’s which is composed on 134 sonnets.
4. I was the first Filipino to translate Rizal’s “Mi Ultimo Adios.”
5. I believe that I have written more poems than any Filipino, dead or living, written in English, Spanish or the native languages. I have written no less than 500 poems.
6. I believe I hold the speed record for poetry writing in the Philippines, hence proposed to call, “The Instant Lyre.” It is not unusual for me to write a short poem in 15 minutes. On amidnight in 1964, I was able to write the rough draft of half a dozen sonnets within half an hour.